This interview was conducted by Katherine Sacco, former Assistant Director of Operations at the IIC.
Here at the IIC, we’re excited for you to get to know us better through a new feature series of interviews with our Core Team. Meet Nicole Anderson our Assistant Director of Fellow Experience. From collaborating with top leaders in social entrepreneurship to work with our Fellows during training, to helping Fellows access the best resources to implement their projects, Nicole makes sure that IIC Fellows are well positioned to have a real impact. Not to mention, she never lets our office stock of coffee run low!
Hi Nicole! Thanks for talking with me. To get us started, can you give a quick introduction—the basics?
I love to ride my bicycle. I have a master’s in rhetoric and, therefore, should be able to convince you of anything. I have lived in seven cities across four states and three countries.
I know you volunteered with the Peace Corps in Morocco. What moment encapsulates your experience as a Peace Corps volunteer?
I had completed three packed months learning Arabic and had just moved to my temporary homestay family’s house. We were sitting around watching TV and the news came on. There was a report about Afghanistan and it panned to a soldier walking into another soldier’s tent. One soldier said “Salam Walaykum” and the other responded “Wa-alaykum Salam.” “Peace be upon you,” “and peace be upon you too.” I had watched the news so many times and felt scared and estranged from the news in the Middle East. But the simplicity of understanding what these two men said to each other made me open to understanding our shared humanity. I had said this same phrase hundreds of times as I met my new Moroccan colleagues and friends.
This encapsulates my Peace Corps experience because it is an example of the millions of ways in which my worldview expanded and my experiences challenged me to find similarities and solutions instead of differences and roadblocks. You don’t get through two years in a developing country if all your experiences are mired in otherness and frustrations. These things are there but I had to find a way around them.
Tell us a little bit about what you do here at the IIC.
I am the Associate Director of Fellow Experience, which means I work directly with Fellows from before they apply all the way until they are alumni. It’s a wide range of responsibilities but I try to be helpful and encouraging as the Fellows face exciting and challenging situations. I’m working to create a structure that supports the great work the Fellows do and the impact they have. I support their growth personally and professionally. And I hope to develop a strategy for keeping our alumni a central part of our program. After all, our Fellows and alumni make up the IIC.
How do you hope to help the IIC grow?
I hope to use my experiences both in the private sector and in the Peace Corps to help IIC build processes that can effectively support the great work that the Fellows are doing. I remember fondly the Peace Corps staff that supported me and my fellow volunteers in Morocco and I can only hope to be as positive and supportive a force as they were.
Okay, let’s end with a couple of fun questions. What is your favorite place in the world?
My dad’s house in Bailey, Colorado. He lives in a small town that is a bend in the road amidst the curves of the Rocky Mountains. It’s relaxing and always welcoming.
And your favorite thing to do on a Thursday night?
In the summer, take a cheese and wine picnic to an outdoor concert at Pritzker Pavilion. Or if I’m at my dad’s house in Colorado, head straight for a hike in the mountains when I get off work.
- Jul 19, 2017 Assessing Effectiveness and Scalability of Ed-Tech in India Jul 19, 2017
- Jul 10, 2017 Working with Management Information Systems: Three Learnings from Rajasthan Jul 10, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Profile of a Profession: Cesspool Workers in Coastal Andhra Pradesh Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 12, 2017 Finding Impact in Unexpected Corners: Interviewing Government Exam Aspirants and OnlineTyari Users Jun 12, 2017
- Jun 6, 2017 Corporate Social Responsibility and Government Policy Jun 6, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Community-led Natural Resource Management: Water Tanks in Telangana May 12, 2017
- May 8, 2017 Implementing Policy: The Reality of State Government as a Distracted “Paper Tiger” May 8, 2017
- May 2, 2017 IIC and IME Pioneer Water Quality Sensing Network in India’s Second Longest River May 2, 2017
- Apr 17, 2017 Taking Charge of Education: Parents and Communities Transform Government Schools Through SMCs in Rajasthan Apr 17, 2017
- Apr 10, 2017 Building Data-Driven Solutions for EdTech Apr 10, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Karnataka Tackles Road Accidents Apr 4, 2017
- Mar 31, 2017 Solving Health Care: An Interview with IIC's Faculty Director, Dr. Anup Malani Mar 31, 2017
- Mar 22, 2017 Act Natural: Some Thoughts on Animal Dustbins in India’s Cities Mar 22, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017 Video: IIC Project Alumni on What Makes the IIC Special Mar 17, 2017
- Mar 8, 2017 Mission Kakatiya Seeks to Understand a Model Village Mar 8, 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 3, 2017 UChicago’s Anup Malani on India, Demonetization and Measuring the Effects Jan 3, 2017
- Jul 29, 2016 Stakeholder Spotlight | The IIC–EPIC team speaks with Principal Secretary Khullar Jul 29, 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- Apr 14, 2016 IIC hosts leading scientists for an IIC Brazil summer policy lab panel discussion Apr 14, 2016
- Mar 14, 2016 Impact of Indian Innovations in Global Business Mar 14, 2016
- Dec 27, 2015 The IIC Team: Meet Nicole Dec 27, 2015
- Nov 2, 2015 2016-2017 Fellow Applications Nov 2, 2015
- Sep 25, 2015 Annual Workshop Recap Sep 25, 2015
- Aug 25, 2015 Profile: YES Institue Aug 25, 2015
- Jun 2, 2015 Fellow Spotlights | Part 2 Jun 2, 2015
- May 19, 2015 Making a 'smarter' city May 19, 2015
- April 2015
- Mar 3, 2015 Fellow Spotlights | Part 1 Mar 3, 2015
- Feb 17, 2015 IIC partners with USAID Feb 17, 2015
- January 2015