The IIC Annual Workshop: Scaling Impact took place on July 30 at the University of Chicago Center in Delhi, bringing together an engaging and diverse audience of IIC partners and collaborators. We hope this recap helps take participant’s discussions beyond the lecture hall and into implementation efforts across India.
Development is challenging. Creating effective, scalable solutions that can take hold in a complex context like India is even more challenging. At the IIC Annual Workshop: Scaling Impact, leaders from the government, private industry, non-profits, and development agencies as well as IIC Fellows shared their experiences tackling these challenges and discussed unique insights and proven best practices that translate across specific project and issue areas.
The July event, co-hosted by the University of Chicago Center in Delhi, marked the culmination of the IIC’s first project cycle. 2014 IIC Fellows, who spent the past year working at the intersection of scalability and impact on a diverse array of projects, presented valuable takeaways alongside major actors in the development space.
WORKING WITH THE GOVERNMENT
The government can be an incredible resource to take development interventions to scale, and working with the government is one of the hallmarks of the IIC model. It is unsurprising, then, that strategies to effectively work with the government were one of the major topics of discussion at the Annual Workshop.
Santhosh Mathew, Jt. Secretary at the Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India, noted that government buy-in can be very difficult to develop. However, Mr. Mathew expressed optimism that there are increasing political incentives within the Indian government for government entities to devote more resources and attention to innovative, new ideas and programs.
In order to take advantage of opportunities to work with the government, the IIC-Central Electronics Limited (CEL) Fellows recommended strategically taking into consideration a government partner’s resources and areas of strength. The team discussed how this strategy enabled them to identify solar energy as a key area within CEL where their innovative thinking could realistically lead to implementable solutions.
The IIC-Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corporation (DMICDC) Fellows were able to pursue an ambitious single window project within the government thanks to the strong support of Talleen Kumar, the CEO & MD of DMCIDC. The IIC-DMICDC Fellows recommended finding a champion within the government to lead the charge on new ideas.
DEVELOPING STRONG PARTNERSHIPS
Another important issue that emerged at the Annual Workshop was the need for diverse partners to collaborate on development projects. Prachi Windlass, the director of India education at the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, noted that organizations across the development field, from foundations to NGOs to consulting firms, need to work together effectively to ensure a project’s success from funding to implementation.
Other participants shared specific techniques they found useful in working collaboratively. The IIC-National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) Fellows emphasized the importance of developing a clear mutual understanding of each partner’s resources and expected contribution early on in the partnership, to ensure that a partnership will remain strong as a project progresses.
The IIC-CEL team highlighted their experience as an interdisciplinary team without highly specialized expertise that was able to build off of innovations happening elsewhere and collaborate with experts to move projects forward. The team’s lack of specialization helped them to be innovative in their partnerships and generated out-of-the-box thinking.
Additionally, Paul Seong, the acting office director at USAID’s Office of Partnerships for Innovations in India, advised examining successful innovative approaches across the globe to comparable issues to help bring effective solutions to India.
INNOVATIVE STRATEGIES & TECHNIQUES
From health to sanitation, impact investing to design thinking, Annual Workshop participants drew on their field of expertise to share specific strategies and techniques to rethink the way we contribute to development.
Priyanka Dutt, the country director of BBC Media Action (India) Ltd, emphasized the value of using simple existing technologies, strategic targeting, and ‘sticky content’ to reach wide swaths of people. Ms. Dutt shared the case study of Mobile Kunji, an audio-visual tool for community health workers that pairs a dial-in phone service with flash cards to help workers counsel families on pre- and post-natal health care.
Human-centered design is an approach based on close understanding of end-use experience that can be applied in practically any issue area and can help ensure that interventions stick. Ayush Chauhan, the co-founder and managing partner of Quicksand, shared the successes of applying human-centered design to a direct benefits transfer program and a large-scale sanitation infrastructure effort.
The IIC-NSDC team found that on their project, a top-down approach to creating change would not be feasible. Rather, they pursued a bottom-up approach and emphasized providing the support and infrastructure for those bottom-up initiatives to scale.
Finally, Srikrishna Ramamoorthy, a partner at Unitus Seed Fund, shared the value of a profit-oriented model for creating social impact. Mr. Ramamoorthy contended that a successful business can approach its business strategy by measuring both profit and impact—ensuring profit while also making it a priority to create positive impact.
- Feb 8, 2019 Harmonizing Investments with Impact: Cook County's Justice Advisory Council Feb 8, 2019
- November 2018
- Apr 30, 2018 Accelerating Women's Economic Empowerment in India Apr 30, 2018
- Mar 22, 2018 The Quest for Universal Quality: Financing Healthcare in India Mar 22, 2018
- Dec 14, 2017 The Challenge of Scoping Dec 14, 2017
- Nov 27, 2017 Varun Jhaveri, IIC Project Lead, selected to meet President Obama in New Delhi Nov 27, 2017
- Nov 27, 2017 A Mandatory Disruption: Using Digitization to Enhance the Patient Experience Nov 27, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 Breaking down the barriers: Integrating the school and beyond in education Aug 16, 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 IIC NITI Jul 28, 2017
- Jul 19, 2017 Assessing Effectiveness and Scalability of Ed-Tech in India Jul 19, 2017
- Jul 10, 2017 Working with Management Information Systems: Three Learnings from Rajasthan Jul 10, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Profile of a Profession: Cesspool Workers in Coastal Andhra Pradesh Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 12, 2017 Finding Impact in Unexpected Corners: Interviewing Government Exam Aspirants and OnlineTyari Users Jun 12, 2017
- Jun 6, 2017 Corporate Social Responsibility and Government Policy Jun 6, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Community-led Natural Resource Management: Water Tanks in Telangana May 12, 2017
- May 8, 2017 Implementing Policy: The Reality of State Government as a Distracted “Paper Tiger” May 8, 2017
- May 2, 2017 IIC and IME Pioneer Water Quality Sensing Network in India’s Second Longest River May 2, 2017
- Apr 17, 2017 Taking Charge of Education: Parents and Communities Transform Government Schools Through SMCs in Rajasthan Apr 17, 2017
- Apr 10, 2017 Building Data-Driven Solutions for EdTech Apr 10, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Karnataka Tackles Road Accidents Apr 4, 2017
- Mar 31, 2017 Solving Health Care: An Interview with IIC's Faculty Director, Dr. Anup Malani Mar 31, 2017
- Mar 22, 2017 Act Natural: Some Thoughts on Animal Dustbins in India’s Cities Mar 22, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017 Video: IIC Project Alumni on What Makes the IIC Special Mar 17, 2017
- Mar 8, 2017 Mission Kakatiya Seeks to Understand a Model Village Mar 8, 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 3, 2017 UChicago’s Anup Malani on India, Demonetization and Measuring the Effects Jan 3, 2017
- Jul 29, 2016 Stakeholder Spotlight | The IIC–EPIC team speaks with Principal Secretary Khullar Jul 29, 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- Apr 14, 2016 IIC hosts leading scientists for an IIC Brazil summer policy lab panel discussion Apr 14, 2016
- Mar 14, 2016 Impact of Indian Innovations in Global Business Mar 14, 2016
- Dec 27, 2015 The IIC Team: Meet Nicole Dec 27, 2015
- Nov 2, 2015 2016-2017 Fellow Applications Nov 2, 2015
- Sep 25, 2015 Annual Workshop Recap Sep 25, 2015
- Aug 25, 2015 Profile: YES Institue Aug 25, 2015
- Jun 2, 2015 Fellow Spotlights | Part 2 Jun 2, 2015
- May 19, 2015 Making a 'smarter' city May 19, 2015
- April 2015
- Mar 3, 2015 Fellow Spotlights | Part 1 Mar 3, 2015
- Feb 17, 2015 IIC partners with USAID Feb 17, 2015
- January 2015