What if a program had the power to drive broad-scale change across one of the world’s most bio-diverse and vulnerable ecosystems? Each year, the Amazon rainforest loses approximately 2300 mi2 to deforestation. That’s more than eight times the size of the city of Chicago. Starting in June of 2016, a team of University of Chicago graduate students will spend 10 weeks in Brazil, bridging the gap between cutting-edge scientific findings and biodiversity conservation efforts.
On March 31, 2016 the International Innovation Corps (IIC) hosted a panel at Chicago Harris with leading scientists from the Instituto de Pesquisa Ambiental da Amazônia (IPAM), Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL), and Woods Hole Research Center (WHRC). Leading the discussion were scientists Dr. Paulo Moutinho from IPAM, Drs. Christopher Neill and Linda Deegan from MBL, and Drs. Paulo Brando and Michael Coe of WHRC.
TRANSLATING SCIENCE INTO POLICY
Dr. Neill kicked off the discussion emphasizing the importance of using scientific data to inform policy. The causes of deforestation have changed as a result of Brazil's transitioning economy. Brazil’s economic growth has created greater demands for both food and energy production, resulting in deforestation and intensification of land use in the Amazon, explains Dr. Neill. Students participating in the IIC’s Summer Policy Lab will have the unique opportunity to examine the effects of this transition, within the broader context of global climate change.
BRAZILIAN GOAL: ZERO DEFORESTATION
Dr. Moutinho shared that despite deep historical roots for deforestation practices in Brazil, a combination of "social movements, scientific breakthroughs, and political will" has enabled Brazil to reduce deforestation by approximately 50% since 2004. Despite this progress, however, the proverbial ‘dragon of deforestation’ has yet to be slain.
In order to reach Brazil’s goal of zero deforestation, Moutinho argues that a combination of effective law enforcement and infrastructure investment is needed, along with the application of scientific findings into policy decision-making. The aim of the IIC Summer Policy Lab will be to use science as the tool to directly inform the government and empower a social movement, ultimately driving policy change.
IIC BRAZIL SUMMER POLICY LAB
The International Innovation Corps (IIC) at Chicago Harris is partnering with the Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL), USAID, Woods Hole Research Center (WHRC) and Instituto de Pesquisa Ambiental da Amazônia (IPAM) to launch a summer opportunity to address pressing issues in biodiversity conservation policy in Brazil. A group of up to 10 UChicago graduate students will spend 10 weeks in Brazil bridging the gap between cutting-edge scientific findings and Brazil’s biodiversity conservation efforts. Students will work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team with an international group of students, researchers and policy experts. This is an exceptional opportunity to study the effects of biodiversity conservation efforts in the Brazilian Amazon and create actionable recommendations to the Brazilian government. Working in Brazil with biodiversity and ecosystem experts, policy experts, students and government officials, UChicago students will learn how research can be used to drive broad-scale change across one of the world’s most important and vulnerable ecosystems.
- November 2018
- Apr 30, 2018 Accelerating Women's Economic Empowerment in India Apr 30, 2018
- Mar 22, 2018 The Quest for Universal Quality: Financing Healthcare in India Mar 22, 2018
- Dec 14, 2017 The Challenge of Scoping Dec 14, 2017
- Nov 27, 2017 Varun Jhaveri, IIC Project Lead, selected to meet President Obama in New Delhi Nov 27, 2017
- Nov 27, 2017 A Mandatory Disruption: Using Digitization to Enhance the Patient Experience Nov 27, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 Breaking down the barriers: Integrating the school and beyond in education Aug 16, 2017
- Jul 28, 2017 IIC NITI Jul 28, 2017
- Jul 19, 2017 Assessing Effectiveness and Scalability of Ed-Tech in India Jul 19, 2017
- Jul 10, 2017 Working with Management Information Systems: Three Learnings from Rajasthan Jul 10, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Profile of a Profession: Cesspool Workers in Coastal Andhra Pradesh Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 12, 2017 Finding Impact in Unexpected Corners: Interviewing Government Exam Aspirants and OnlineTyari Users Jun 12, 2017
- Jun 6, 2017 Corporate Social Responsibility and Government Policy Jun 6, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Community-led Natural Resource Management: Water Tanks in Telangana May 12, 2017
- May 8, 2017 Implementing Policy: The Reality of State Government as a Distracted “Paper Tiger” May 8, 2017
- May 2, 2017 IIC and IME Pioneer Water Quality Sensing Network in India’s Second Longest River May 2, 2017
- Apr 17, 2017 Taking Charge of Education: Parents and Communities Transform Government Schools Through SMCs in Rajasthan Apr 17, 2017
- Apr 10, 2017 Building Data-Driven Solutions for EdTech Apr 10, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Karnataka Tackles Road Accidents Apr 4, 2017
- Mar 31, 2017 Solving Health Care: An Interview with IIC's Faculty Director, Dr. Anup Malani Mar 31, 2017
- Mar 22, 2017 Act Natural: Some Thoughts on Animal Dustbins in India’s Cities Mar 22, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017 Video: IIC Project Alumni on What Makes the IIC Special Mar 17, 2017
- Mar 8, 2017 Mission Kakatiya Seeks to Understand a Model Village Mar 8, 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 3, 2017 UChicago’s Anup Malani on India, Demonetization and Measuring the Effects Jan 3, 2017
- Jul 29, 2016 Stakeholder Spotlight | The IIC–EPIC team speaks with Principal Secretary Khullar Jul 29, 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- Apr 14, 2016 IIC hosts leading scientists for an IIC Brazil summer policy lab panel discussion Apr 14, 2016
- Mar 14, 2016 Impact of Indian Innovations in Global Business Mar 14, 2016
- Dec 27, 2015 The IIC Team: Meet Nicole Dec 27, 2015
- Nov 2, 2015 2016-2017 Fellow Applications Nov 2, 2015
- Sep 25, 2015 Annual Workshop Recap Sep 25, 2015
- Aug 25, 2015 Profile: YES Institue Aug 25, 2015
- Jun 2, 2015 Fellow Spotlights | Part 2 Jun 2, 2015
- May 19, 2015 Making a 'smarter' city May 19, 2015
- April 2015
- Mar 3, 2015 Fellow Spotlights | Part 1 Mar 3, 2015
- Feb 17, 2015 IIC partners with USAID Feb 17, 2015
- January 2015