This post is by the IIC Core Team - those dedicated, forward-thinking (some might say crazy) individuals that ensure the IIC operates and continues to grow. Many of the members of the Core Team have been with the IIC since Day 1.
Last January, the IIC was still a fledgling concept, as our co-founders raced to build a new program from the ground up. As 2014 came to a close, the IIC’s inaugural cohort was fully immersed in creating innovative solutions to some of the Indian government’s toughest challenges, and we were finalizing details for the exciting projects our 2015-2016 fellow cohort will tackle. Now, we don’t like bragging, but we have a few good reasons to be proud of the IIC’s progress this past year.
A YEAR OF 'FIRSTS'
2014 was a big year of ‘firsts’ for the IIC (including our first full year of operation!). Some of our favorites are:
- First cohort of IIC Fellows! Following a recruitment cycle at the University of Chicago and top universities across India, we selected 15 fellows from over 125 applications, a competitive pool of talented individuals with academic and professional backgrounds ranging from anthropology to engineering, and everything in between.
- First 5-week summer training program organized for our fellows in July, hosted at the UChicago campus in Chicago and the UChicago Center in Delhi. Our fellows learned how to capitalize on the strength of a team in order to successfully bring ideas into action in a new context.
- First IIC Leadership Lecture held at the UChicago Center in Delhi. U.S. Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, Co-Chair of the India Caucus, kicked off the event with an e-introduction. Kathleen Stephens, U.S. Chargé d’Affaires in India, delivered an address about the growing role of entrepreneurship and innovation in the relationship between India and the U.S.
- First Tweet. That’s right, the IIC has a Twitter (@innovcorps – follow us!). We know our audience ranges far and wide, and we love using social media to help all of you stay up-to-date on the latest happenings at the IIC.
BY THE NUMBERS
In 2014, the IIC recruited and trained 15 fellows from 7 different universities, organized them into teams of 5, and matched them with 3 Indian government organizations to work on unique, government-led development projects.
But these numbers don’t capture one of the best parts of the year—the tremendous support we’ve received across the globe. We are incredibly thankful to all who have poured their energy into the IIC.
Suffice to say, 2014 has been a huge year for us – and we’re confident that even bigger things lie ahead in 2015.
- Mar 22, 2017 Act Natural: Some Thoughts on Animal Dustbins in India’s Cities Mar 22, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017 Video: IIC Project Alumni on What Makes the IIC Special Mar 17, 2017
- Mar 8, 2017 Mission Kakatiya Seeks to Understand a Model Village Mar 8, 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 3, 2017 UChicago’s Anup Malani on India, Demonetization and Measuring the Effects Jan 3, 2017
- Jul 29, 2016 Stakeholder Spotlight | The IIC–EPIC team speaks with Principal Secretary Khullar Jul 29, 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- Apr 14, 2016 IIC hosts leading scientists for an IIC Brazil summer policy lab panel discussion Apr 14, 2016
- Mar 14, 2016 Impact of Indian Innovations in Global Business Mar 14, 2016
- Dec 27, 2015 The IIC Team: Meet Nicole Dec 27, 2015
- Nov 2, 2015 2016-2017 Fellow Applications Nov 2, 2015
- Sep 25, 2015 Annual Workshop Recap Sep 25, 2015
- Aug 25, 2015 Profile: YES Institue Aug 25, 2015
- Jun 2, 2015 Fellow Spotlights | Part 2 Jun 2, 2015
- May 19, 2015 Making a 'smarter' city May 19, 2015
- April 2015
- Mar 3, 2015 Fellow Spotlights | Part 1 Mar 3, 2015
- Feb 17, 2015 IIC partners with USAID Feb 17, 2015
- January 2015